To prepare for the multiple choice part of the theory test, there are multiple apps available for phones/ tablets and three books, these include; The Highway Code, Know Your Traffic Signs, and the Driving Skills series. Also available on CD-ROM.
During the test a question and several possible answers will appear on a computer screen – you have to select the correct answer. Some questions may need more than one answer. As part of the multiple choice section of the test, the case study will assess candidates’ understanding of driving theory, while the multiple choice questions will continue to assess their knowledge of the subject. The theory test case study will take the form of a scenario, or short story, on which five questions will be based.
The multiple choice element of the theory test will be:
- 45 multiple choice questions = 45 marks
- One case study scenario with 5 questions to answer = 5 marks
The pass mark = 43/50
The hazard perception part is video based, you will watch 14 video clips of real life driving situations, click the mouse when you see a potential hazard developing to show you’ve recognised it as a hazard. One of the video clips will have 2 hazards the rest just 1 hazard. The sooner you recognise the hazard the more points you score (max 5 points per hazard)
The pass mark = 44/75
Book your Theory Test.
To book your theory test you will need £23 and your provisional driving license number.
The driving test is designed for you to demonstrate your general driving ability in various road and traffic conditions. The examiner will give you directions that you should follow. Throughout the test your examiner will be looking for an overall safe standard of driving, including when you are carrying out the set exercises.
Your P1 Drive School Instructor will advise you on when you are safe and ready to take your test and the procedure on the day.
On the day of your driving test after meeting your examiner, the next stages are:
- You MUST bring your current UK provisional driving license.
- An eyesight check – Read a car registration number from 20.5m
- Your Examiner will ask you two vehicle safety check questions. You’ll be asked one ‘tell me’ question at the beginning of the test and 1 ‘show me’ question during the drive. One or both questions answered incorrectly will result in one driving fault being recorded.
- The driving part of your test will last about 40 minutes during which you will be examined on your general driving and ability to reverse your vehicle safely. One exercise will be chosen from: forward bay parking and reversing out, parking on the right and reversing back 2 car lengths, reverse parking, reverse bay parking. You may also be asked to carry out an emergency stop exercise. Your practical driving test will include approximately 20 minutes of independent driving, either following a sat nav or following direction signs. This is designed to assess your ability to drive safely while making decisions independently.
Best of luck!
Book your Practical Test.
To book your driving test you will need £62, provisional license number, theory certificate number and your instructors consent.
Craig is a really helpful and efficient Instructor, he helped improve my confidence and prepare me for my test. Would definitely recommend him to everyone wanting to learn!
Craig has been an excellent Instructor. He brought me to a point where I feel confident in both my own driving and predicting possible dangers around me. I would highly recommend him.
Thank you P1 for all the help teaching me to drive! As an Instructor, Craig was always friendly, professional and patient. I would definitely recommend P1.